Translating stories into english, good idea? bad idea?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Translating stories into english, good idea? bad idea?

Post by RoamingCat on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:29 pm

One of my favorite writers is a guy called "elquefolla"
https://www.todorelatos.com/perfil/1399500/

This guy has some great stories but they're in spanish. I am fluent in spanish so for me its not a problem, but maybe others who aren't would like to get a chance to read them as well. I have emailed this person before and I'm fairly certain he would be fine with me translating his stories as long as I gave him credit for it which I would, obviously, but another question is, would it be worth it? I know a lot of people here only speak english but translating stories, especially ones in a setting that is unfamiliar to the reader, would lose a lot of their luster.

What are your thoughts?

NOTE:
Just to be clear, I'm not looking to take credit, ownership or control from any of this. My idea was to translate them into english and send them back to him so he could re-upload and have full ownership/credit of all of them. I would then link them here so you guys could check them out. I emailed him today to see what his thoughts were but I would also like to know what you guys think.

I'm fairly certain everyone here that is bilingual (english + any other language) knows exactly what I'm talking about when I say that stories lose a LOT when they get translated. I'd be pretty disappointed if they ended up sucking... but I'd do my best to , rather than translate directly, adapt them to the language. We'll see, I'd like to know your thoughts.
RoamingCat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Translating stories into english, good idea? bad idea?

Post by DarkMask on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:22 pm

I'd say go for it!

I've been linked to a couple stories on that site before and had to use Google Translate so I'd love to see stories that fit this theme in English!

Here's some stories I bookmarked, might be new to you.

https://www.todorelatos.com/relato/50401/
https://www.todorelatos.com/relato/60944/

DarkMask

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RoamingCat on Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:24 am

DarkMask wrote:I'd say go for it!

I've been linked to a couple stories on that site before and had to use Google Translate so I'd love to see stories that fit this theme in English!

Here's some stories I bookmarked, might be new to you.

https://www.todorelatos.com/relato/50401/
https://www.todorelatos.com/relato/60944/

I had read the second one, that author has some amazing content.

That was the author that originally made me contact this other author to see if he would be alright with translating... the problem with the author of your second link is that he didn't respond... plus I've seen his stories on other sites and I have no idea who the original author is.
RoamingCat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkMask on Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:37 am

As long as you're not claiming it as your own, I see no issue with translating it.

Below the title, just put the original author, story link and then "Translated By" below it.

DarkMask

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RoamingCat on Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:09 am

DarkMask wrote:As long as you're not claiming it as your own, I see no issue with translating it.

I would find it extremely distasteful to do this without the express permission of the original author.
RoamingCat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jman1012 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:51 am

As someone who cant speak spanish this would be great for me and many others.

Jman1012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Betrayal on Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:18 pm

It's kinda pathetic, I'm puerto rican but don't know spanish Razz

What kinda tone do these stories have? Are they dark and psychological like Matt's, or do they just get right to the sex? Are the moms slutty or do they get coerced?
Betrayal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RoamingCat on Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:25 pm

Betrayal wrote:It's kinda pathetic, I'm puerto rican but don't know spanish

What kinda tone do these stories have? Are they dark and psychological like Matt's, or do they just get right to the sex? Are the moms slutty or do they get coerced?

That's not pathetic at all... just because you're puerto rican doesn't mean you automatically know spanish, most of the world speaks english now anyway. I've known a ton of asian dudes that only speak english.

To answer your question, the main author I contacted has stories that tend to fall within dark territory, with at least half being about what you would consider "rape". There is a very important distinction to be made here, in english, the word "rape" is very ambiguous. The equivalent in spanish is "Violacion" which shares the same root as the word "Violencia" (Violence). Therefore, unless explicitely stated otherwise (And even then it isn't a certainty) none of these stories would be considered rape by the standards of latin american countries because there is no violence. Non-violent rape isn't really a thing here, for ex, I've never even heard of anyone in any latin american country be in trouble with the law for having sex with a woman that has been drinking. This is because it is taken as fact that a woman slamming down alcoholic drinks at 2 AM in a sleazy bar that chooses to leave with a man,  is not there to pray the rosary. A "non violent rape" (whatever that is) would either be an entirely different crime, or not a crime at all. I attribute this to language and culture differences.

Now with that buffer out of the way, I will give some examples of what the content is like with some brief summaries;
https://www.todorelatos.com/relato/113675/
"Como disfrutaron de mi mama en la piscina" ----> How 'they' enjoyed my mother in the pool.
The story is about how an extremely attractive mother in her 30s goes to a pool with her son but is quickly spotted by some low life teens roughly her son's age. She's basically harassed a bit and then things escalate as she enters the pool and gets her bikini top dislodged. Given that it is a public pool, things escalate from that point as she desperately tries to get out of the scenario.

She is never physically injured or threatened with any sort of injury, but she's strung along by a strong personality that basically takes her down the path he wants. Son watches and is horrified at both what is happening to his mother, and his reaction to what is happening to his mother, etc.

"Cómo dejé que se follaran a mi madre" ----> How I 'allowed' them to fuck my mother.
Son allows a guy that he saw nail his mother in the past, full access to their home so he can have his way with his mother again. While these stories are all very notably NOT connected, there are some traces of continuity, for example the son's continuing decaying morality....

So yeah, most of them are pretty dark and involve subjugation of the mother with a strong dose of son emasculation. That is what these are about.

Last edited by RoamingCat on Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
RoamingCat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RoamingCat on Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:29 pm

Emailed him when I made this thread , no response so far.

Last time he responded right away, shrug.... I will keep you posted.
RoamingCat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by necok on Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:09 pm

If you go through translating them, you should keep in mind that sometimes there is a gain in translation. I would suggest going on a riskier route and being creative, doing things like changing the setting of the stories to one that is better suited for an English audience and such. I would say that English stories are more enjoyable since Spanish tends to be more inconsistent throughout cultures, especially in any informal pieces.

necok

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RoamingCat on Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:17 pm

necok wrote:If you go through translating them, you should keep in mind that sometimes there is a gain in translation. I would suggest going on a riskier route and being creative, doing things like changing the setting of the stories to one that is better suited for an English audience and such. I would say that English stories are more enjoyable since Spanish tends to be more inconsistent throughout cultures, especially in any informal pieces.

You hit the nail on the head.

That is precisely why I would not want to translate these stories without having the express permission of the author. I would make changes to certain phrases that are unable to be properly translated, to certain locations, clothing, etc. Basically, I would have to give the stories a complete overhaul.... but as they are not mine, I would find it incredibly distasteful to do it without asking.
RoamingCat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkMask on Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:48 pm

I respect the fact that you don't just want to take someone's work and localize it without getting permission, even if you credit them. As an author, if someone took something I wrote and localized it and provided credit, I personally wouldn't care and would just be happy my stories are reaching a larger user base.

DarkMask

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roymilflover on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:45 pm

If you do.I am interested in reading it
roymilflover

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cepheus on Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:37 pm

Thank you for those stories. I'll read them later. I'm from South America so i speak spanish, i write stories in spanish and post them in a blog. One of my goals is to write in english.

cepheus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RoamingCat on Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:26 am

Eyyy got confirmation today.

Looks like the plan is marching onward.
RoamingCat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jman1012 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:34 pm

RoamingCat wrote:Eyyy got confirmation today.

Looks like the plan is marching onward.

Looking forward to having new content to read, thanks for this.

Jman1012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top